Latest Realestate News
Feb 08 , 2021
8 Reasons to Move to Poquoson
Poquoson is a peninsula city of around 12,000 residents. Located on the Poquoson River at the mouth of the Chesapeake Bay, this bayside community is the perfect location for water lovers. The tranquil inlets and secluded coves are home to a host of water fowl including pelicans, herons, and majestic white egrets. This boater’s paradise calls to deep water fisherman as well as kayakers who can spend hours exploring the quiet marshes. The multiple inlets of Lambs Creek, Roberts Creek, Lyons Creek, Bennett Creek and Whitehouse Cove offer many waterfront lots with deep water access.
There are just so many reasons to move to a community like Poquoson, but we narrowed it down to 8. Here’s our picks for why you should consider Poquoson for your next home.
1. More space The further you get out of the city, the larger the lots seem to get. Families with kids and pets can enjoy having more space to roam. Larger yards and more space between homes is one of the benefits that many families enjoy as they migrate to these hidden gems.
2. Great schools Close knit communities like Poquoson have residents who are involved in the schools and work to create learning environments that are most advantageous for their children. Poquoson schoolsrank high among local schools, boasting a 96% graduation rate. Poquoson schools also have competitive sports programs, with active community support.
3. Safety Poquoson has a low crime rate and residents look out for one another. Overall crime rate is 39% lower than the national average. For many families who choose to move to smaller communities, safety is a big concern. Poquoson offers the kind of environment where residents can feel safe either raising young children or quietly enjoying retirement years.
4. Lower taxes Purchasing a home in Poquoson has a lower property tax price tag than buying in one of the larger cities. Lower property tax translates into lower monthly house payments.
5. Amenities are closer than ever It used to be that living outside the big cities meant you had to sacrifice convenience. But many retailers and businesses are opening up shop in these areas too. Shopping and eating are all within reasonable reach. Poquoson has a selection of unique privately-owned shops as well. Some of their offerings are antique stores, art galleries, gift shops, and even a quaint tea room. If you can’t find it right in Poquoson, Newport News and Hampton offer TownCenter and Patrick Henry mall just a quick drive away.
6. Fun Festivals Small townliving usually involves community events. Poquoson has developed a few annual festivals that show off the uniqueness of their area. Their claim to fame is theAnnual Poquoson Seafood Festivalwhich is always held the 3rdweekend of October, after the sizzling summer has cooled down, but before it gets too cold to enjoy being outside. The whole community comes out to enjoy amazing seafood, arts and crafts, live entertainment, and even a petting zoo. Living in Poquoson, you would end up rubbing shoulders with your friends and neighbors in these fun local events.
7. Easier commute Traffic in large cities is a foregone conclusion. There’s really no avoiding it. In Hampton Roads, all of our waterways give us tunnels and bridges that add to the congestion. Living in Poquoson, being on the upper peninsula, there are no tunnels to get through heading north, making it easier to get to Williamsburg, Richmond, and Washington DC. The peninsula is also home to two of the major employers in the area; Langley-Eustis and Newport News Shipbuilding. Avoiding the bridges and tunnels can save your sanity.
8. Water Recreation For those who love the ocean and live on the coast because they enjoy spending time on the water, Poquoson is a perfect place to call home. Located right at the mouth of the Chesapeake Bay, Poquoson is a waterfront community with marinas, boat slips, and docks for boaters and fisherman who want to take advantage of this picturesque waterfront. With waterways so close, fisherman can drop a line into the famous Chesapeake Bay waters without having to travel miles to the oceanfront.
If any of these 8 Reasons to Move to Poquoson have won you over, check out our new community Dove Point on Bennett Creek. Let us build you the custom home of your dreams!!
Helpful Poquoson links